Friday, July 18, 2014

My Equipment

Greetings All~

       So, as of late, I've been receiving a lot of messages and comments from new vloggers, asking me for my opinion on the best ways to start up a new channel. I found it strange because I don't really consider what I do on YouTube a "great success," but I'm always willing to try to help out when someone asks! One of the most frequent questions I've been receiving is the ever so popular, "what equipment do you use?" Once again, I was confused because, once again, I don't consider myself an expert or anything. But for those people who are at a total loss when it comes to vlogging equipment, I'd like to take the time to talk about the equipment I use, as well as what I feel would be some great thing-a-ma-bobs for a new vlogger to have in their arsenal!!!
       So let's start with the  items I work with!

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS
Canon Power Shot ELPH 300 HS [Main Camera]

Uses: Conventions vlogs, Exhibit Anime, Episode Reviews

Favorite Features: Full 1080p HD Video, Rechargeable Battery,
 Fairly Stable Footage, Wide Angle Lens.

Summary: So, I'll try to do this in an unbiased manner, 
but I did get this camera as a gift [meaning I didn't spend money 
on it]. The price it was purchased for however, was about 159$, so I'll
try to hold it up to a 159$ standard. So I'm not really going to discuss its ability
to take pictures, because, surprisingly, I barely use it for that. As a vlogging 
camera, however, I think it's done me well. I got this in December of 2011, 
and due to my poor up-keeping skills, I think it has just about run its course.
However in it's hay-day, it was pretty sweet. The Full 1080p HD 
definitely up-ed the quality of my videos. And even without my 
Audio Recorder, the audio is pretty good as long as your surroundings aren't too noisy. Also, it's small and sleek making it easy to carry around conventions
 and other similar events. And although I always advocate
the use of stabilizers when filming, this camera does pretty well without one. 
And like I mentioned before, the lens is wide angled, which is good for getting the
background scenery in on-the-go vlogs. 
 Now remember when I said the stabilization
was good? WELL THAT ALL GOES AWAY IN THE ZOOM FEATURE!!! 
The zoom starts to super-suck after a certain point;
 the stability and the video quality begin to fade. Pairing this with the fact that
the lens is wide angle, it's kind of difficult to film something that's far away, without
physically approaching it. The quality also suffers in low lighting (but, duh).
The functions/ buttons are pretty easy making it a good beginner vlog camera.
If you're going to buy it, search for online deals [which should be easy,
because the price most likely went down since the day it was purchased for me!]

Nikon CoolPIX L110 [Back Up Camera]

Uses: Interviews, Convention Coverage, Back-up to the Canon

Favorite Features: The Design
Nikon CoolPIX L110

Summary: This camera is more bark than bite. Now once again, I got
this camera for free (a friend gave it to me), but I can tell you right now,
if I didn't , this camera and I would have never crossed paths. Now, it looks
really awesome, reminiscent of a DSLR, but the quality is nowhere near it. I would say if you had to choose between the PowerShot and this, go with the PowerShot. My biggest pet peeve with this camera is that it's so big and bulky for such a low turnout. And the fact that it runs on 4 AA batteries is always pretty inconvenient, as it becomes another thing you have to make sure to pack with you. The only positive side of this camera is that it looks like its a professional one. Why would that matter? Well, in my experience, it's really hard to score interviews with con-goers/guests when you're filming them with a tiny point and shoot camera (even if it is good quality). Sorry to say, but you just don't look important enough. However, pop out this superfluous baby and the interview-ees seem to line up! However, if I were you, I'd just save my money for a real DSLR.

TASCAM DR-07mkII Handheld Digital Recorder 

Uses: Audio capturing

Favorite Features: EVERYTHING!!!
Tascam

Summary: So basically,  this little gem records clear audio. As most of us know, even the best cameras and camcorders seem to have less than stellar audio recording. This machine allows you to recorder audio separately and clearer. Then, you can sync this audio with the video while you're editing. Now what's cute about this is all the functions it has. Recording a concert? Put the microphone prongs in a outward position to capture a wider range of sound. Doing an interview? Put the prongs inward, pop on a windscreen and you've got yourself a handheld mic! If you have the extra cash, it's definitely worth it.

Blue Snowball USB Condenser Microphone

Uses: Dubbing

Favorite Features: 3 recording settings, USB Connector


Blue Snowball Mic
Summary: I actually purchased this microphone way before I started making videos, but I still find it useful anytime I need to dub over line flubs, or narrate slide shows. Like I mentioned above, this mic is plugged in via USB instead of a mic jack. It also comes with 3 different settings depending on what you want to record. Lucky for you, this cost me $100 but now it has worked its way down to $50!


Video Editing Software:
Sony Vegas Pro 9
Magix Movie Edit Pro 14


If you have anymore questions, feel free to shoot me a message!

 ~Jay



No comments:

Post a Comment