Monday, August 11, 2014

Watamote Hidden Gems: Episode 4

  

  As you all may know,Watamote is one of the many anime I'm watching this season. Now, one of the running jokes in the show is its constant reference to different anime, which is fitting because Tomoko, the main character, is quite the otaku. But, as I'm getting deeper into the series, I'm starting to notice little Easter eggs and cute parodies present throughout each episode and I thought it would be cool try to catch them all!!So let's get started!

Hidden Gems
A familiar face...?
Episode 4 of Watamote opens with Tomoko doing some late night Internet surfing. When the scene cuts to a full shot on her computer screen, you might have noticed a familiar face. In the middle of the page is a Internet ad promoting none other than...well...Watamote! Talk about shameless promotion XD.

Parodies 

May the Force Be With You
Except from Watamote
Except from Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back

During the same scene, Tomoko decides to read one more Internet article before going to bed. When the scene once again cuts to her computer screen, the words in the article are presented scrolling out in front of a space-like back drop. Even Star Wars gets a reference!

Word World
 
Tomoko finally hits the hay, in hopes of trying some sleeping tips she found in the article that might result in dirty dreams. Instead, she dreams of a world where everything is made of the Kanji that represents it. I'm not sure if it was an intentionally reference, but I can't help but point out this scene similarities to the award winning children's show Word World.
Word World
This might be a stretch, but you have to admit, the two concepts are pretty similar!
Watamote
Word World
Watamote
Word World


Play Motion Network?

The Play Motion 3 is my favorite consul !
Which one is the real one?
Now, most of you probably caught this but I still thought I should add it to the list. Product parodies in anime isn't anything new, but I still thought it was cute when Tomoko stopped by a game shop to pick a game for her Play Motion 3. Looks like they got the design down to a T!

Touyo or Tokyu?



In this episode, Tomoko mentions that her mom buys  underwear for her at the supermarket, and were shown a large shopping center called Touyu. However, the name and design bears a strong resemblance to that of the Japanese department store chain, Tokyu.


Bah Dah Bup Bah Bah....
I'm lovin' it!
  Towards the end of the episode we see Tomoko heading out of the mall and what eatery can we spot just to the right of her? Mcdon-..er...um...WcDonalds? But honestly, McDonalds knock offs are nothing new to anime.





So that's everything I could spot in this episode. Anything you think I missed?

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the games shown, the one Tomoko plays later on is a reference to a BL visual novel Naked Butler. Note I don't play this but one of my friends does. :p

    ReplyDelete